October 16, 2018 / WEDDING RESOURCES
How to Tie a Bow Tie
How to Tie a Bow Tie
Love them or hate them, a bow tie can be a nice touch to your hand stitched suit or your common looking tux. The idea of the bow tie originated in the 1700s in Croatia with soldiers using scarfs to hold together the collar of their shirts. It really began to be a fashion piece when France took the idea and refined it into the common bow tie today. From there, throughout the years bow ties have been associated with the old world or the upper class. Although today, they symbolize something greater. That you don’t care what other think and are looking to stand out. Now isn’t a wedding all about standing out together? Why not say it it with your tie? I’m glad you agree. Now here are the most helpful instructions we have found on how to tie a bow tie.
Preface to Instructions
First, I am going to give you the simple instructions. These instructions and images are courtesy of Ties.com. You have to really memorize this part and get it down to a science that you can understand. Don’t try to follow them exact but find a way for you to make it work and figure it out in your head.
I had to go through and try this at least 10 – 15 times before I was able to find how it really worked. What helps, as well, is imagining the instructions facing the way you are facing. Otherwise you are trying to follow the instructions’ pictures or a video, when they go left you are going right when you actually needed to go left. It can get confusing very fast. We prefer just following the written instructions, and again just think about the mechanics of how this works. Find a good mirror, pop your collar, and do not attempt 5 minutes before you walk down the isle. Give yourself a minimum of 30 minutes if this is your first time. It is achievable, but takes time. Good luck! This is how to tie a bow tie!
1. Start with the bowtie lying face up. Adjust the bowtie so right side is shorter than the left. The end on the left will be referred to as A and the end on the right will be referred to as B.
2. Move A to the right side, across B.
3. Bring A under B and up through the neck loop.
4. At the joint, fold B towards the right and then towards the left to create a the bow shape.
5. Bring A straight down over the middle of the bow shape that was made with B.
6. Fold A back towards the chest and pinch the fold.
7. Push the pinched end (A) through the loop behind B.
8. Pull on the folded parts of the bow to tighten.
9. Adjust until balanced on both sides.
We hope these key tips help you with your attire. If you have any further questions on our thoughts, feel free to reach out by clicking here. Also, if you have questions about our Photography services for Engagements or Weddings you can see what we offer here.